Thursday, October 25, 2012

DIY Applique Onesies

I absolutely LOVED the newborn onesies I made for her!!!  They were honestly pretty easy too!  If me and my complete armature sewing skills can do this, you can too!  You can even sew it by hand if you want!  (I wish I had taken a picture of a close up of the stitch I did.   To be honest it was pretty tough to get around the intricate edges of the applique, and probably would have been a lot easier to hand sew.  But I do really love the look it gave it.)  We got a lot of compliments on these onesies and I plan to make more in a 3-6 month size onesie soon!  The tutorial I found via Pinterest from Daffodil Design.  She has the templates on her link.  You can add buttons or ribbons like she does, but I just kept it simple!

here is the heat and bond i used, make sure you get the one you can sew (and it says you can use for appliques)

print and cut out your templates, since i was doing these on newborn onesies, i actually had to "freehand" them smaller to fit on the onesie.  cut your fabric to the size needed to fit your template.

cut heat and bond to the size of your fabric

 fuse heat and bond to "wrong" side (or back) of fabric using the directions on the product.

trace onto heat n bond fused with fabric.

cut out template.  (not sure why this pic is sideways)

remove paper backing.

place design on onesie and iron on.
 
haha!  this was the only picture i had of her in this one...dead asleep throwing up gang symbols as my dad said! :)
 
 
ugh, quite possibly my favorite little outfit of hers from the newborn days.  i was very sad when she outgrew this one :(

close up for you!
 
 
 
onesie {solid colors work best}
an assortment of scrap fabrics
heat n bond or wonder under
printed template
sewing machine {or needle and thread if hand sewing}
iron
buttons or ribbons {optional}
 
1.  print and cut out your templates.  cut your fabric to the size needed to fit your template.
2.  cut heat and bond to the size of your fabric
3.  fuse heat and bond to "wrong" side (or back) of fabric using the directions on the product.
4.  trace onto heat n bond fused with fabric.
5.  cut out template. (not sure why this pic is sideways)
6.  remove paper backing.
7.  place design on onesie and iron on.
8.  use sewing machine or hand sew around the applique to completely secure it to onesie and give it a finished look.
7. embellish with buttons or ribbons if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment