Saturday, February 18, 2012

Exercise - 1st Trimester

December 10 - January 4
How my workouts have changed - first trimester
*written within my first couples weeks of finding out

To be honest, this has been the hardest part of pregnancy for me thus far!  I did not realize how much I loved working out!  Not necessarily workouts in general, but really pushing myself type of workouts!

Things I have cut out:
Boot camp, etc. & interval sprints/running on the treadmill.  I know you always hear the old "you can keep doing what you were doing before, but just don't start anything new" rule.  Well these are some things that I still didn't want to risk continuing.  If something happened I would be so upset and probably feel like I was responsible.  Plus the hubby is very protective...he really thinks I need to be taking it easy and I agree with him.  Boot camp and other high intensity classes get my heart rate up really high and involve a lot of jumping, etc. 

I have learned to listen to my body.  I always heard this before but I've really learned to pay attention and understand what it means lately!  I can really tell a difference, some days I feel great and can workout harder.  Some days I feel almost as if I would get dizzy if I worked out too hard, or I just feel tired so I take it really easy or don't even go.  Or for example, one of the things I regularly did previously was push ups.  I was doing 25 a day after my work out and working my way from doing half modified to all full push ups.  Well I've noticed that this just doesn't feel right.  I feel like its harder or like I'm straining and it almost gives me a headache, so its something I've cut back on and not pushed myself so much.

Things I'm loving:
The elliptical surprisingly!  I do this on days when I just want to do cardio or there isn't a class I want to take.  I typically do it 30-45 minutes.  I'm still doing Yoga which I love and its really nice and relaxing.  I'm also doing weightlifting classes (or Body Works its called at my gym - works the arms, swats, and other leg workouts).  I'm also still doing lower impact classes like zumba or aerobic classes.  If I ever feel myself getting light-headed or my heart rate rising too high I take it easy for a minute.  I also make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, & after.

This is just me, and what I feel comfortable with (and what my doc approved)!  I am very lucky to have had the energy to continue to work out most days.  But to be honest I've also read that working out helps give you energy during pregnancy.  I think part of the reason I didn't have too much morning sickness probably had to do with my continued exercise routine, taking prenatal vitamins eight months prior to conceiving, and continuing to eat small meals throughout the day. 


*Make sure you talk with your doctor before you make any changes or start up a new exercise routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment